We've selected baby alpaca wool for our knitwear at Coin de Rêve, prioritizing luxury, comfort, ethical production and sustainability. This incredible material not only benefits your baby but also minimizes impact on our environment, respects animal welfare, and supports ethical labor practices.
Why is baby alpaca our chosen fiber?
1. Soft & Silky: Baby alpaca wool is extraordinarily smooth and soft thanks to its fine fibers. The term 'baby' refers to the quality of the fiber, not the age of the alpaca. Unlike many types of wool, baby alpaca is free of any prickly sensation, providing utmost comfort for your baby's sensitive skin.
2. Adaptable for All Seasons: Baby alpaca wool has a unique structure with small air pockets, providing excellent insulation in cold weather and breathability in warmer conditions. It's a perfect year-round material for your baby's wardrobe.
3. Durable & Non-Tangling: Alpaca fibers are long and strong, ensuring longevity of our garments. The wool does not tangle or dull over time. Any initial pilling gradually subsides, leaving a smoother and less clingy fabric against your baby's skin.
4. Hypoallergenic: Unlike sheep's wool, alpaca wool is lanolin-free, making it hypoallergenic and perfect for babies with sensitive skin.
5. Sustainable & Ethical: Baby alpaca is a more ethical and sustainable alternative to other premium wools such as cashmere. Alpacas are hand-sheared during the warm season in a manner that doesn't harm them. Each shearing yields enough wool for up to five sweaters, compared to cashmere goats where four animals are needed for just one sweater. Additionally, alpacas graze without uprooting the plants, preserving pastures and contributing to an eco-friendly cycle.
At Coin de Rêve, choosing baby alpaca wool embodies our commitment to quality, ethics, and sustainability.